City Centre Retail Store
The Group was commissioned by Hortons’ Estate to restore and convert a prominent C19, Grade II Listed building in New Street, Birmingham into a retail store. The scheme gained a Civic Trust Commendation and a Birmingham Design Award for Conversion.
The original building constructed circa 1863 was designed as the headquarters of the Birmingham and Midland Bank. The conversion of the Grade II listed building to a 25,000 square foot retail store involved major alterations to remodel the internal space whilst maintaining the architectural and historical features of the building. The basement vaults were opened-up and the spectacular domed roof light lifted to extend the retail area and allow public access to the hidden parts of the premises. The extensive restoration of the external and internal fabric required the procurement of specialist stonework, ironwork and stained glass to replace damaged elements of the building.
The original conversion was designed to house a large bookstore; the building is now an Apple Store and the Group were retained by Apple’s architects to advise on heritage issues.